Monday, November 15, 2010

Deployment Day #3 It's the small things..

Shortly after I posted my blog entry yesterday, wondering when my husband was going to get internet, he popped up on Yahoo messenger! It really made my day. I am so thankful for the ability to communicate with him even though he's half a world away. Back in 2003 during OIF I, we were lucky to talk once a month. Those conversations were usually short and filled with static. We were fortunate then that there were Iraqis who would let him use their satellite phones. Now I feel silly when I worry if I don't hear from him for a few days.

I always remind myself that even at once a month, we were fortunate. If you look back through history there have been many, many army wives out there who had it a lot worse. I've heard stories from Vietnam about how slow the mail was. There were soldiers who would send a letter home saying they were coming home, but it wouldn't arrive until after the soldier did. Go back even further to World War I or II when letters were few and far between. Add to that, they were censored. I always think about these courageous women when I'm tempted to complain about the slow internet connection or lack of communication for a few days. Being separated is never easy, but it could always be a lot worse.

Thank you Lord for even the smallest blessings!

1 comment:

vanilla143 said...

Amen! And then I think ... the Vietnam wives... they were even told not to say that their husband was a soldier. So to miss them and not even be able to be vocally proud of the mission they were doing without repercussions.