Saturday, November 27, 2010

DD#15 Family

After many years as an Army wife and meeting many, many new people I realize how blessed we are to have a wonderful, supportive family. I've heard stories of the wicked mother-in-law over and over again from so many different women or of selfish parents and siblings. So today I want to take time to write a little about my family.

My family isn't perfect, but we do the best we can. I have a husband who loves me, even though he isn't always here. He's one of the smartest people I've ever known and I wish that I could have a memory like his! Scott is also a great dad and I love to watch him with our kids. When he isn't here, I feel as though something is missing. Its hard to go through each day when you know your best friend is on the other side of the world and you may or may not talk to him. I look forward to the emails he sends everyday. Even from far away he pushes me to exercise and get back into shape. I know he hates being away from his family, but that is the sacrifice that we make as an Army family.

I've talked about two of my daughters, so today its Julia's turn. Julia is such a great little girl. She is sweet, funny, and brilliant. She loves to learn and can often be found curled up with a book. Julia also seemed to get the same incredible memory that her father has. She can tell you the most obscure facts about animals and is already starting to memorize her multiplication tables even though she's only in 1st grade!  I can always count on her for a smile and a hug. She has always been easy going and such a blessing to me.


My parents are wonderful and I love them dearly. I thank God every day that I have parents who brought me up to know Jesus as my Lord and Savior. They also taught me the value of education and that we never stop learning no matter how hold we are. From my Mom I have learned how to keep going even through adversity and to look to God in all situations. From my Dad I learned how to listen and have compassion for other people. I miss living close to them and can't wait for Christmas so that I can spend a couple of weeks with them.

My husband's parents are great people as well and I have gotten to know them much better over the last couple of years. I know that they would do anything for us. I have always felt a part of their family and never an outsider. I love having them around because they are so helpful and caring. It would have taken me forever to rake my leaves yesterday, but because they chose to spend Thanksgiving with us this year, I had help and we were done in a couple of hours. My father-in-law was also able to fix the gate that Scott didn't quite get to before he left.

My family is more important to me than anything and I hate living so far away from them. To me that is the hardest part of Army life and having to move all over. Email and social networking sites have made it easier to keep in touch, but I still miss sitting around the table with my family, the great conversations, and the all the card games. I miss getting to see my nieces and nephews grow up and getting to know my bothers and sisters better. I love my family and love to be with them. I can't wait until Christmas!

No comments: