Saturday, November 13, 2010

Deployment Day #1

Here we are at the beginning of our 3rd deployment. In some ways it really hasn't sunk in yet because it doesn't seem like it should be happening. Only 13 months ago we welcomed him home for a second time. The time in between went by so fast, it seems like a dream when I look back on it now.

Today I spent a few minutes trying to help our two year old understand that daddy isn't just "at work" and getting her to say Iraq and Baghdad. To many people that isn't a word that should be in the vocabulary of a two year old, but its pretty normal in this house. Army kids probably know a little more about middle eastern geography than most. Yesterday I had the pleasure of watching a little girl reuniting with her dad who was home for R&R. I sobbed uncontrollably having just said good-bye to our own soldier and knowing the joy and happiness moments like that cause. These are all parts of the cycle of life on an Army post.

As crazy as this life is, I love it. I couldn't be prouder of my husband and the sacrifice that he makes for our country. My kids are amazingly resilient and have taught me a lot about being strong in the face of adversity. Through it all we've become a stronger family because we cherish every moment we have together knowing that we don't have all the time in the world to make memories. Now its time to sit back and see what this deployment brings...

1 comment:

vanilla143 said...

:D We too are on the third deployment. I don't believe these get easier. Oh he isn't in the danger he has been in before but it really hasn't been easier.
I keep asking God to show me what He wants me to learn.
God Bless you as you dance thru this "extended business trip."